Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Day 41: Mutiny on the Bounty

Mutiny on the Bounty: 1936: Winner of the 8th Academy Award
 Starring:

Charles Laughton as Captain Bligh


Clark Gable as Fletcher Christian

Franchot Tone as Byam

Herbert Mundin as Smith

Eddie Quillan as Ellison

Dudley Digges as Bacchus

Donald Crisp as Burkitt

Henry Stephenson as Sir Joseph Banks
Francis Lister as Captain Nelson

Spring Byington as Mrs. Byam

Movita as Tehani

Mamo Clark as Maimiti (as Mamo)

Byron Russell as Quintal

Percy Waram as Coleman

David Torrence as Lord Hood

John Harrington as Mr. Purcell

Douglas Walton as Stewart

Ian Wolfe as Maggs

DeWitt Jennings as Fryer

Ivan F. Simpson as Morgan (as Ivan Simpson)

Vernon Downing as Hayward

Bill Bambridge as Hitihiti (as William Bambridge)

Marion Clayton Anderson as Mary Ellison (as Marion Clayton)

Stanley Fields as Muspratt

Wallis Clark as Morrison

Crauford Kent as Lieutenant Edwards (as Craufurd Kent)

Pat Flaherty as Churchill




This was a Clark Gable movie and it was about mutiny!! So the story revolves around the relationship between, Christian and Capt. Bligh this nasty mean dude who looks like my turd on a Wednesday. I really didn't think I would like this movie, because I don't like movies that have asshole characters in them, like All the King's Men, but I found that I really enjoyed it. I think what really did it for me was the character of Hititi. The chief of the island of Tahiti, it was like the little bit of fun and laughter the movie needed. I also liked the weird but hilariously pathetic boatswain ( I believe thats what they call the boats janitor). I don;t even remember his name to be honest but the performance was unforgettable. One thing however was I didn't understand why the last guy Byam, best friend to Gable's character got a Oscar nod when he was forgettable. Furthermore I had a real problem with the ending of the movie. I understand it was mutiny but the officers didn't deserve to be hanged. That made me upset because Bligh deserved to die in the sea! I swear he should have been ripped to bits! And then he should regenerate and they do it again all over again!!! He is one nasty piece of work. This is the second movie that won best picture for Clark Gable.

No comments: