Monday, July 29, 2013

Shit my dad says

Shit my dad says by Justin Halpern.









After reading Kavalier and Clay ,I definitely needed from serious an  long books so I choose something that was funny. I had been thinking of reading this book since it came out but it takes me forever to get around to anything that doesn't immediate attract my full attention. So I gave this a shot and was very happy I did.
Birch please!
The book revolves around Halpern who moves back in with his parents after getting dumped by his girlfriend. The dad is the main character of the book as Halpern goes back into his childhood and recounts his father's wisdom. The book is filled with three of my favorite types if humor, bathroom, raunchy and profane. He usually has a cuss word, an allusion to poop and then a little anger thrown in. In reality it reminded me of a way less tame version of my own father. I think this book was amazing because Halpern is brilliant by cashing in on the ridiculousness of his father (something something I should look into) and still remaining in close contact with his father father who despite sounding crass loves his and is quite affectionate with him. I have a feeling this man has some Salvadoran blood. He fits perfectly in our culture. 

No comments: