Monday, July 29, 2013

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See


















Last week onan outing with Barbie we stopped by the library Andy they had a book sale. I went crazy and bought six books all of which I plan to read (well for the other two we're "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and  " The Tale of the Body thief" both have been read and one already thoroughly reviewed) so this is was the first one that caught my attention while I was looking through the pile because I had seen seen the movie at the library, I was curious about it but hadn't really wanted to check it out thinking that it would try to be like "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon", a movie that I love and own and cannot see destroyed! I finished the book in a day. It's a fast read  and it kind of wills you to keep reading. In many ways it reminded me of "Memoirs of a Geisha" by Arthur Holden. The theme of the main character being uncommonly beautiful and poor, the pain of becoming an adult the weird foot wear (although the Chinese take the cake foot binding is fucking horrific ok) and the misunderstandings  that lead to major problems. However See' s novel also talks about the disturbingly true nature of the Chinese and their loath of women. 
BITCH PLEASE!
Overall engrossing I do wish that Snow Flower had been more seen through eyes that were not the main characters as she can only ever see her with pity and furthermore I wish that the author would not have confused me. In the beginning of the book when Snow Flower, Beautiful Moon and Lily are talking about their future spouses the narrator says that in truth she hadn't realized until after her marriage how close Beautiful Moon would live and how often they would get to see each other. Then she goes ahead and kills her. I was passed because I liked Beautiful Moon. However I did enjoy the book and I'm going to check out the movie and hobbits just as good.  

No comments: