Monday, July 22, 2013

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay

The amazing adventures of Kavalier and Clay: by Michael Chabon



















this book has been sitting on my book shelf for a really long time. I was told that I would like this book.the verdict is I sort of did but did I find something to birch about, of course. The book is about two cousins Josef Kavalier and Sammy Clayman. Josef is the light of hope for his parents who are about to be sent into a concentration camp. However things go awry when the immigration offices revoke his passage to America. So he seeks help from his old magic teacher and takes a ride with the Jewish Golem. He travels with it all the way to Lithuania where he birch takes a ride to Japan and from there to San Francisco and to New York. There he and Sammy quite quickly come up with a plan to make themselves rich. They are going to make themselves rich on the golden age of comic books.they create the escapist a superhero that beats Nazi's and who represents the angst in his creator then we go into learn about Twitter lives and meet j just about the only real female character in the book Rosa Saks. Then there's slot of more in the war but mostly in Antarctica
Bitch please: 
The book was clearly not Kavalier and Clay but more aptly titled Kavalier and sometimes Clay.I felt bad for Sammy he spends most of the book in the shadows and horrible things happen to him and yet unlike Joe he has no one to talk to about it. The only good thing in Sammy' s life is Tracy Bacon. Even then he can't really appreciate it either.when Joe leaves him and he takes care of the ones Joe has left behind, he can't even enjoy. Joe is an asshole, I mean he just runs away from his anger and he just poses me of because he can't appreciate the love and burgeoning family that Sammy so craves. His heart is still in Prague, with his family. But he doesn't allow himself the chance to be completely happy, or to be miserable on his own. I guess maybe that's what brought me down about the book how Joe is unwilling to help himself be happy. That and how long the book was. I mean I get it the author is cramming details about the life and journey of two comic book genius in their rise and fall. But 640 pages is a lot to get through. My favorite parts of the book are the introduction to the escapist and Luna moth. The little stories totally enthralled me. The verdict, read it if you like comic books or like to read about Jewish heroes. It's long it's a little dry and there are days when you start drifting during the reading, nonetheless it's got a feel good.
 Luna moth



No comments: