Thursday, March 8, 2012

Day 26: Cimarron

Cimarron: 1931: Winner of the 4th Academy Award

Starring:
Richard Dix as Yancey Cravat


Irene Dunne as Sabra Cravat

Estelle Taylor as Dixie Lee

Nance O'Neil as Felice Venable

William Collier Jr. as The Kid

Roscoe Ates as Jesse Rickey

George E. Stone as Sol Levy

Stanley Fields as Lon Yountis

Robert McWade as Louis Hefner

Edna May Oliver as Mrs Tracy Wyatt

Judith Barrett as Donna Cravat

Eugene Jackson as Isaiah


This was a fucking western! I suffered through this movie like I have never suffered through a movie before. Set in the late 1880's rate to attain land. The Cravat's led by fearless Yancey are all in Oklahomy.. ok ok Oklahoma but I like how Issiah said it better. Anyway they have a rollercoaster kind of life and blah blah blah... then they get old and die and have one ungrateful daughter, one very nice son Cim, and throughout this process I still have no idea where they got the name for the movie! It was very long and tedious. Even though I liked some parts I really didn't feel others were necessary. Furthermore it was a WESTERN. I just can't deal, the end was kind of sad but I was glad it was finally over. This was kind of like a western version of “How Green was my Valley” but the latter movie was definitely better. There is no reason why any one should watch this movie, maybe torture?

It also won awards for:

Best Writing, Adaptation: Howard Estabrook


Best Art Direction :Max Rée




No comments: