Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Day 35: It Happened One Night


It Happened one Night: 1934: Winner of the 7th Academy Award

Starring:

Clark Gable as Peter Warne

Claudette Colbert as Ellie Andrews
Walter Connolly as Alexander Andrews

Roscoe Karns as Oscar Shapeley

Jameson Thomas as "King" Westley

Alan Hale as Danker

Arthur Hoyt as Zeke

Blanche Friderici as Zeke's wife

Charles C. Wilson as Joe Gordon

Wow,  Claudette Colbert, show your gams girl! I never knew that the showing of the leg to get some  male traveler to stop was from this gem from the mid -thirtes. Starring two of the greatest actors of the time, Claudette Colbert and Clark Gable. Gable has also popped out on “Mutiny on the Bounty” and the very small movie “Gone with the Wind.”  Although in this one he plays a lovelorn sailor, I mean a lovelorn gambler, I mean a lovelorn journalist. Ah yes that’s the ticket. Well he is a down on his luck journalist who finds himself riding on the same bus to New York with a millionaire’s daughter who in her discontent has run away from home.  So he takes her on after she loses her luggage and any material possession she may own.  As per diem she falls in love with him and it’s a bit of a cat and chase movie until the end.    I saw this movie in the Sex and the City 2 movie actually. The very first scene where Carrie and Big are at the Hotel after Stanford’s wedding. They watch the movie and Carrie says Claudette Colbert is “pretty” (sorry I don’t think so.) I like Clark Gable in this movie I really do. It might actually be my favorite. But considering I have only watched.. umm three Clark Gable movies not sure if that stands. Also I had a bit of a marathon watched all three Clark Gable included movies, so saw his many facets and could see why he was so loved by studios. Even though I will say his justification air of authority annoyed me in Mutiny on the Bounty. 

It also won awards for :
Best Picture :Columbia Pictures (Frank Capra and Harry Cohn)
Best Director: Frank Capra
Best Actor :Clark Gable
Best Actress: Claudette Colbert
Best Writing, Adaptation: Robert Riskin


No comments: