Thursday, March 8, 2012

Day 25: Rebecca


Rebecca: 1940: Winner of the 13th Academy Awards



Starring:


Laurence Olivier as Maxim de Winter
Joan Fontaine as The Second Mrs. de Winter

George Sanders as Jack Favell

Judith Anderson as Mrs. Danvers

Nigel Bruce as Major Giles Lacy

Reginald Denny as Frank Crawley

C. Aubrey Smith as Colonel Julyan

Gladys Cooper as Beatrice Lacy

Florence Bates as Mrs. Edythe Van Hopper

Melville Cooper as Coroner

Leo G. Carroll as Dr. Baker

Wow, wow, wow! This movie has it all, the wry dry British Humor, thrills and chills and a love story. The plot is this a young woman (Fontaine) is a companion to a wealthy woman and is with her on a trip in Monte Carlo, there she meets the young aristocrat Mr. de Winter, who is now a widower thanks to his previous wife’s catastrophic death. As with any movie plot they fall in love. What you have to understand is that she is almost in every way very different to Rebecca his previous wife. Anyhow, this man takes her to his estate called “Manderly” and a series of very intriguing plots begin to twist. I don't want to say to much for fear that I’ll give too much away. I mean honestly you won't get the whole story until the movie is just about done. It is very similar to the movie Psycho, in the sense that you don't get the complete picture all at once, more like in pieces. The end is simply superb and I loved Laurence Olivier in this. I almost pardon him for the movie “Hamlet”, which was way boring. Also I think I might have liked this more because for the longest I couldn’t find a place that had it. Salinger and I went out to get stuff and randomly found a library and lo and behold three movies that had been as of yet not found stood staring at me like new found friends. Rebecca being one of them. This was Hitchcock's first American film and he won an Oscar for it! Go Hitchcock. This is my third Hitchcock movie seen. I never got to finish “Rear Window”. This is joining “My to get List. ” its one of those movies you watch on a stormy and rainy day, in the dark. It just gets you so excited and you can't help but try to anticipate whats going to happen next. This is one of the Academy's better choices. Furthermore considering I had a week of solid war movies of extremely long length I can faithfully say I am happy for a decently timed film with a good plot and no gun shots. Rebecca is a must see, trust me you will not be disappointed.

It also won an award for:
Best Cinematography, Black and White - George Barnes



No comments: