Thursday, March 8, 2012

Day 30: Rocky

Rocky: 1976: Winner of the 49th Academy Award
Starring:

Sylvester Stallone as Rocky Balboa

Talia Shire as Adrian Pennino

Burt Young as Paulie Pennino

Carl Weathers as Apollo Creed

Burgess Meredith as Mickey Goldmill

Joe Spinnell as Tony Gazzo


I liked this movie, but I couldn't help thinking there was something wrong with Rocky. Like maybe he wasn't all there mentally. It is the story of the American underdog and I understand that. It was a chance for the Holllywood underdog (Stallone) to show his acting chops. My likes about this movie we're obviously the soundtrack, and the girlfriend. Shire is cute and quirky and exactly the kind of girl you can mentally picture Rocky with. I also loved the scene where he walks the girl to her house and he gives her a lecture on how to behave, and at the end of the walk she calls him a perve or dumbass... that was hilarious. What I didn't like was the psycho brother and the cocky boxer! First of all that guy was a huge pain in the ass to look at and secondly he should have been more supportive instead of looking for recompense. Then the boxer, OK I get he is the best and Rocky just wanted to go the distance, but come on he should have one. This guy literally had nothing her improvised and he was the only one who got to the 15 rounds with Apollo Creed. Dude it irked me that he didn't win. I can see why this movie won awards, the nation needed a hero, even if he was a halfwit.

It also won awards for:

Best Film EditingWonRichard Halsey and Scott Conrad

Best Film Editing Won Richard Halsey and Scott Conrad
Best Director Won John G. Avildsen


Best DirectorWonJohn G. Avildsen

<>
Best DirectorWonJohn G. Avildsen

No comments: