Thursday, August 29, 2013

Catcher in the Rye


 

Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger:
 

 

I’ve heard about this book about a hundred different ways and I imagined a hundred different scenarios this book could introduce. Therefore I was tremendously unprepared for what I ended up with. The book is about a guy named Holden and his three day journey in New York after he gets kicked out of his prep school. That’s it. Seriously that’s all this “Amazing” novel was all about. A piece of ass rich kid named Holden (what kind of name is that?) who kind of haunts New York.

Bitch Please!

I had so many problems with this book, starting with the premise, the whole idea. This little bitch kid that has some issues and who’s always had some issue applying himself in school, if his retelling of history is to be trusted, gets kicked out and decides to go to New York. Wait, I’m skimping on the details, first he decides to hang out with the guy next door whom he hates and then he hangs out with his roommate whom he thinks is underneath him and shallow. Later he gets jealous and starts a fight. He is jealous this guy is dating a girl he has the hots for but is too big of a pansy to ask out. Then he decides to leave and he heads to New York, signs in to a seedy motel and gets in trouble with a pimp and then he has to pick up the tab for some ugly out of town chicks. Afterwards he decides to call this girl he was seeing for a date the next day but he calls her at midnight. However the girl decides to go out with him and he takes her to a movie, which he purportedly hates to the max but goes about once a week anyway, and then gets mad when she makes friends with a guy. He is a ball of contradictions always saying he hates “phonies” that he really hates “ phonies”. He is probably the biggest fucking phony of them all, he is an expert liar and lets you know this his own opinion of himself and he also hates when people say things twice. Yet he does this particular annoying trait almost the whole fucking book. He is really crazy and if you ask me has way to much money and time on his hands. What he needs is a good fucking scare, a beating or to be put into a fucking public school where he can’t waste any more money. He is always talking about his brother and his sister Phoebe. Why is this book such a big fucking deal, I think its because the kid under all his bullshit wants to be a helpful guy. He wants to be the guy who helps people in short he wants to be a hero but he is all sorts of fucked up. I honestly don’t get the appeal and maybe its one of those books I’d like better if I had read in high school. I doubt it because the whole time I read it I waited for something to happen and nothing happened. Absofuckingloutley nothing super anticlimactic and stupid I didn’t understand what people make all the fuss about. Maybe I’m not as sophisticated or appreciative enough for this kind of work, or maybe I’m right and its fucking stupid. Either way I don’t recommend.

No comments: