Sunday, August 18, 2013

In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote:



This  was the only non-fiction/ non-biographical book I think I have ever read. I just don’t like non-fiction, it makes me slow and I get bored almost immediately. However for some reason, (actually in all honesty it’s probably because I had just seen Sinister and the main character is like a modern Capote except family oriented.)I wanted to read this book. I had actually loved his ‘Breakfast at Tiffany’s’ and his obsession with my girl Marilyn Monroe made me want to read anything of his further. This in mind I went to the library and checked it out, it took me about a week to finish this book, it being only 367 pages I should have finished it a lot sooner. But like I said, non-fiction makes me slow. It was written with a fiction like story, reconstructing the lives and the last days of the Clutters and the trip the killers Hickcock and Smith planned and excuted but by the 290 mark it was all newspaper articles and quotation marks and I was done with it but sheer will forced me to finish it. The story revolves around the murder of four members of the Clutter who were killed, in you guessed it, Cold Blood. The reason for the murder was never known and if it hadn’t been for one cell mate a Mr. Floyd Wells then no one would have ever made the connection. I don’t know if it was the longevity of it or the fact that it all took place in a sleepy agricultural town like Kansas (yawn) that made it so boring. I mean the killers were dumb and unorganized and had really annoying self esteem issues. The only thing I felt was just sorry for the Clutters who were nice outstanding people and didn’t deserve any of that shit.

Bitch Please:

The book actually wasn’t all that bad and im sure I would have liked it better if the killers had been more sinister. However that being said I don’t think id ever read this if I had known how slow it would be or how tedious and boring it would end up. Don’t read this unless you have to, I mean watch the movie, watch Sinister. Its just not worth the effort, it’s long and you can already guess how it ends.

No comments: