Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Day 10: Gigi

Gigi :1958: Winner of the 31st Academy Awards

Starring:

Leslie Caron as Gigi

Louis Jourdan as Gaston Lachaille

Maurice Chevalier as Honoré Lachaille

Hermione Gingold as Madame Alvarez

Isabel Jeans as Aunt Alicia

Eva Gabor as Liane d'Exelmans

Jacques Bergerac as Sandomir

I liked this movie. It was cute and funny and it was kind of like watching to stubborn people fall in love. I wasn’t entirely sure whether Gigi was being raised to be a rich man’s wife or his mistress, but it all worked out in the end. I think Leslie Carron was by far one of the prettiest actress ever and I was totally smitten by Gaston. Angry man, I swear some men were just made for marriage and he was one of them. All he needed was a little vivacity in his life. And Gigi was the one to bring the spunk… pun… get it? Nvm anyway the point is that I liked it and it was one of the first musicals to ever win 9 oscars. I loved it and couldn’t get “The Parisians” song out of my head. Watch it as a date movie or on a rainy day with cocoa. It’s totally worth it.

 It also won awards for:

Best Director :Vincente Minnelli,

Best Adapted Screenplay: Alan Jay Lerner
Best Art Direction: E. Preston Ames, F. Keogh Gleason, Henry Grace, and William A. Horning
Best Cinematography: Joseph Ruttenberg

Best Costume Design: Cecil Beaton

Best Film Editing :Adrienne Fazan

Best Original Score :André Previn

Best Original Song :"Gigi" by Alan Jay Lerner and Frederick Loewe

No comments: