Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Day 17: The King's Speech


The King's Speech: 2011: Winner of the 83rd Academy Award

Starring:

Colin Firth as King George VI

Geoffrey Rush as Lionel Logue

Helena Bonham Carter as Queen Elizabeth

Guy Pearce as King Edward VIII

Michael Gambon as King George V

Timothy Spall as Winston Churchill

Jennifer Ehle as Myrtle Logue

Derek Jacobi as Archbishop Cosmo Lang

Anthony Andrews as Stanley Baldwin

Eve Best as Wallis Simpson

Freya Wilson as Princess Elizabeth

Ramona Marquez as Princess Margaret

Claire Bloom as Queen Mary

Tim Downie as Duke of Gloucester
 
Last year’s winner I was hoping to leave it for the end of the week, but chance provided it to me before so I took it. I liked this movie; although I should mention that I melt at the knees of Colin Firth I absolutely love the man! Furthermore in this movie he is out to portray someone as awkward as he. I liked this movie. Something about it, the struggle to talk and the struggle to rule a nation when your impaired struck me as a great undertaking that shouldn’t have been his considering, but his brother was such an idiot I mean.. Well off topic, but further to the point I was sad Helena Bonham Carter didn’t win the Oscar but hey it went to the insanely talented Natalie Portman. Granted last year we saw a lot of good films, and as someone that saw all except “127 Hours” and “The kids are all Right” I can say that the only movie that deserved to win more is “Toy Story 3”.

It also won awards for:

Best Director:
Best Actor: Colin Firth
Best Original Screenplay

No comments: