Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Day 11: Hamlet

Hamlet : 1948: winner of the 21st Academy Awards

Starring:

 Basil Sydney as King Claudius.

Eileen Herlie as Queen Gertrude.

Laurence Olivier as Hamlet,

Norman Wooland as Horatio.

Felix Aylmer as Polonius,

 Terence Morgan as Laertes,

 Jean Simmons as Ophelia.




To watch or not to watch? TO NOT WATCH! First off, the fucking box lied to me. I always check the back of the dvd case to inquire the length of said dvd and it said 1:33:1. Let me tell you right now that was a falsehood. It was more like 2:33:1, which was and hour more than it needed to be. Now I have seen (Sir) Laurence Olivier in “The Prince and the Showgirl” and he was rigid and cold as ever. I have problems with his snootiness, because he is a Shakespearean actor and blah, blah, blah, but this was beyond that. I was bored throughout the entirety of it, well except for when the ghost came out. That was actually pretty cool. I was tempted to take it out and say fuck it I’ll wiki it and then pretend I watched it, but I can’t really cheat, as it would be kind of ridiculous, so I watched it and died a little. Even though I have always wanted to see exact Shakespeare on video, I never expected this monstrosity. I also believe that it was nominated because America couldn’t turn down Shakespeare even though it was dreadfully boring and might I say overly dramatic, hey what the hell do I know, my suggestion is however , watch it if you abso-fuckin-lutely have too, for no other reason should thine bright eyes witness it.

It also won awards for:

Best Costume Design, Black-and-WhiteRoger Furse
Best Costume Design, Black-and-WhiteRoger Furse


Best Costume Design, Black-and-White: Roger Furse
Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Black-and-White: Roger Furse,Carmen Dillon
Best Actor in a Leading Role: Laurence Olivier









No comments: