Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Day 19: The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel: 1932: Winner of the 5th Academy Award

Starring:


Greta Garbo as Grusinskaya - The Dancer
John Barrymore as The Baron Felix von Gaigern
Joan Crawford as Flaemmchen - The Stenographer
Wallace Beery as General Director Preysing
Lionel Barrymore as Otto Kringelein
Lewis Stone as Dr Otternschlag
Jean Hersholt as Senf - The Porter
Robert McWade as Meierheim







The movie for today was the Grand Hotel, and I liked it! Its from the 1930's, with an ensemble cast of the biggest actors of the time, Greta Garbo, Lionel Barrymore, John Barrymore, Wallace Beery and Joan Crawford. I loved Crawford in the movie, I had seen only one other movie with her in it but this was the one that has possibly sold me to her. As for Garbo, well I liked her better when I hadn't seen her act. The movie itself was pretty good, it was about five very different people who, come together in this hotel, this grand hotel of glamour and fame. The thing was it keeps one invested in the story and there is an unexpected twist thrown in. I loved it! It was like watching Sunset Blvd and All About Eve but with a little quirkyness... This was a good movie, and like 'Ordinary People', its on my too get list. I think what most sold me about the movie was that i couldnt really slot it. Like the movies mentioned above it was in a class all it's own.

No comments: